A massage gun can be a great addition to your self-care and recovery routine.
But do you know how to use a massage gun? And what are they good for?
In this article, we will discuss how to use a handheld massage gun and answer some questions you may have about them.
We’ll also recommend a few of the best and cheap massage guns on the market, so you can find the perfect one for your needs!
Let’s dive in!
What is a Massage Gun?
A massage gun is a handheld device that uses vibration to help relieve tension and pain in the muscles.
They are often used by physical therapists, chiropractors, athletes, and people who work out regularly. But can be used by anyone who wants to loosen up their muscles and increase blood flow to specific areas.
This handheld massage gun is a great tool for anyone who wants to recover quickly from muscle soreness(doms) after an intense workout session! (heads up: it’s a bit pricey on amazon but so worth it).
Now that you know what a massage gun is, before buying one you need to know how to use it. Let’s break it down next!
How to Use a Massage Gun
Handheld massage guns come in different shapes and sizes, but they all work in the same way.
They have rubber or plastic heads that you use to massage the muscle group you want to target. Most massage guns come with 4-6 heads for different parts of your body.
The vibration from the gun helps to break up tension and tightness in the muscles, which can help to relieve pain and improve blood flow. And if you have a lot of muscle mass, you need this device!
Here are a few tips on how to use a massage gun:
Before turning on your device, make sure to charge it fully beforehand because it’s not battery-operated!
- Read the instructions: Always read the instruction manual before using your massage gun. Each massage head is slightly different and it’s important to familiarize yourself with how they work!
- Start on low pressure, slowly: Most massage guns have several different speed settings and pressure levels to choose from, so start with a gentle setting and then increase the intensity as you become more comfortable using it.
- Use your judgement: Use your judgement when choosing how much pressure to apply on each muscle group. If something hurts or feels uncomfortable, stop immediately! It should never feel painful to use the device.
- Multi-purpose use: Massage guns are not just for the body! You can also use them on your face and scalp. Gently massage your temples, forehead, cheeks, and neck to relieve tension, pain, and stress.
When you turn on the device you can pick between 2 different modes to use – manual or automatic.
On the manual mode, you basically choose the speed from 1-4, but on automatic, you set the level you want from 1 or 4, and then the device will increase its pressure when it feels there’s more tension in the particular area of your body.
If you’re using a iReliev Percussion Massage Gun, then hold it in one hand while holding your other arm or leg up with the other.
You can start by massaging an area that feels tight and painful, but don’t overdo it! You should only use the device for 15-20 minutes for a full body massage at a time with breaks in between.
Treat yourself to 2-3 recovery sessions per day!
Massage Gun Benefits
Massage guns are great for athletes, as well as anyone else who wants to release muscle tension and reduce doms (delayed onset muscle soreness).
Athletes and gym-goers use them because it helps relieve pain from tightness or sore areas by increasing blood flow and relaxing your body’s tissues.
Here are just a few:
- For post-workout recovery: To help relieve tension and pain in muscles after an intense workout. You can use the device to help reduce muscle soreness and stress level.
- Pain relief: To help relieve tension and pain in muscles from everyday activities.
- Increases blood flow and circulation: To help increase blood flow and circulation. This allows for better nutrient and oxygen delivery to muscles, which can help improve muscle function and reduce fatigue.
- Break up scar tissues: To help break up scar tissue and adhesion to decrease muscle tightness.
- Improve health conditions: To help alleviate pain from conditions like fibromyalgia, arthritis, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Reduce stress: Can be used on the face and scalp to relieve tension headaches and stress.
- Improve sleep quality: To help relieve tensions and pain in the body before bed so you can sleep better.
Learn How To Eat Better Food, Lose Weight and Start Working Out To Build Some Muscle Now.
Where on the Body Can You Use a Massage Gun?
You can use a massage gun on any area of your body that is tight or sore.
However, some people find the device most helpful for targeting certain areas, such as the: chest, calf muscles, wrist, face, neck, shoulders, back, hamstrings, glutes.
You can also use a massage gun on your feet, though you may prefer to opt for a foot massager instead.
Some people find that handheld massage guns are awkward to hold when targeting the bottoms of their feet. If it’s more comfortable for you, feel free to use it on your feet.
If using a massage gun on your feet, be sure to start at the heel and work your way up. This will help ensure that you cover all areas of your feet.
When using a massage gun on other parts of your body, remember to move in slow, circular motions. You can also use short strokes if needed.
Avoid moving the device quickly up and down, as this can be jarring and may not feel very good.
How to Use a Massage Gun to Relieve Back Pain
You can get relief from back pain by using a handheld deep tissue massage gun.
If you have some soreness in your lower back muscles or the erector spinae muscles or anywhere on your back – you don’t want to massage hard, you just want to massage the areas gently and let the massage gun do most of the work.
When trying to massage your back, doing so alone can be challenging. It’s better to let someone else help you out and make sure to use a cordless massage gun too.
If you have pain in the middle of your back, try to avoid massaging directly over your spine because it’s not as flexible as the other muscles in your back and you could cause yourself some discomfort.
To massage your spine, use the massage head that looks like a fork or Aquaman’s weapon. This massage head helps you massage the outer areas of the spine without directly massaging the boney spine area.
Gently massage over the spine and go up and down till you’re satisfied with the pain relief. Massage guns are designed to use over the muscle tissue!
So to massage other areas of your back, you can use the round massage head to massage the sore areas around the middle back gently for a minute or two and then increase the time if it feels comfortable.
Also, you shouldn’t feel any pain while using the device – if you do, refrain from using it. Talk to your doctor or physical therapists if you have any issues!
Lastly, you can use the iReliev Percussion Massage Gun deep tissue on almost any part of your body – just be careful around sensitive areas like your neck, face, and genitals.
Are Massage Guns Safe?
The short answer is yes, massage guns are generally considered safe to use for muscle soreness and pain relief.
They’re a relatively new type of massage tool that is growing in popularity. They can be used for self-massage or massage therapy with a partner.
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when using a massage gun.
Firstly, always use sunscreen if you’re going to be using the device outdoors. The vibration and heat from the device can cause sunburns.
Secondly, make sure to avoid contact with your eyes. The device can irritate or even damage your eyesight if it comes into contact with them.
Thirdly, don’t use the device on broken skin or open wounds. This can cause irritation and possible infection.
Lastly, make sure to keep your handheld massage gun clean after every use. Bacteria and germs can easily be transferred between users if proper precautions aren’t taken when cleaning it off with soap water after each session.
Which is The Best Massage Gun to Buy?
There are a few different types of massage guns on the market, and it can be tricky to decide which is the best one to buy.
The handheld massage gun is probably the most common type. This type is small and easy to use, and it’s perfect for targeting specific areas of the body.
Here’re some of the best and most popular guns that gets the job done:
- LIVIVO 5-in-1 Massage Gun Handheld
- ANSELF Massage Gun Deep Tissue
- RENPHO Massage Gun Deep Tissue
- IRELIEV Percussion Massage Gun
- FITPULSE Muscle Massage Gun
The great thing about these massage guns is that they’re cheap – you can buy one for less than $30 on Amazon.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to relieve some back pain, a handheld deep tissue massage gun is the way to go!
Massage guns are an excellent way to relieve muscle tension and pain, especially for people who suffer from chronic back pain.
You must use the handheld massager properly and with care so as not to hurt yourself or cause any damage to your body.
And don’t forget, if at any point while massaging yourself with the device and it hurts, discontinue using it and talk to your doctor or physiotherapist.
If you have any questions, tell me in the comments below!